Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Upside of Insomnia


I occasionally suffer from the awake-in-the-middle-of-the-night variety of insomnia. I'm not one of those people who just gets out of bed and reads or works when it strikes. Instead, sad to say, I lie in bed waiting for sleep to return, which it usually does--in two or three hours. It's boring to just lie there doing nothing, however, so I've discovered I can make good use of that time by simply thinking about story ideas. If/when I do come up with an interesting idea, the trick is to remember it in the morning. So I keep a small notebook and a pen on my bedside table--just in case. Of course, sometimes those ideas that seemed so fascinating and plausible in the middle of the night, look much less so in full daylight. Sigh.

1 comment:

Emily said...

"Of course, sometimes those ideas that seemed so fascinating and plausible in the middle of the night, look much less so in full daylight. Sigh."

True true. But you maybe also get some ideas in the middle of the night that are more adventurous and imaginative than the ones you get when you're sitting at your desk, trying to think of a new story idea... :).