Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hurrah for Evergreen Elementary Writers and Readers!

Yesterday, thanks to funding from a great group of parent boosters, I spoke at assemblies with students at Evergreen Elementary in Sedro-Woolley, WA. My favorite part of the day was having lunch with the seventeen winners of a school-wide writing contest. Before lunch I got to see some of the stories they'd written, and we talked about where their ideas had come from, and how their reading influenced their writing. Conversation continued over pizza, salad, and cake. The kids were all delightful. Three of the winners were sisters. Not surprisingly, they told me that they spent far more time reading books than watching TV. I was reminded of something Avi said when I heard him speak in Seattle many years ago:

"If you’re not a reader you can forget about becoming a writer. If reading is not in place first, the writing will not come. The most effective training for writing is reading. If kids read more they would write better." --Avi

Isn't that the truth?

1 comment:

Trudi Trueit said...

So true, Suzanne! As a child, I spent hours in the library reading everything I could get my hands on (even the stuff that was much too old for me). It warms the heart to see children still discovering the joy of reading and writing. You never know where a good book will lead you in life!