Thursday, March 18, 2010

On the Road




I've been on the road for about a week now. Flew into Kansas City last Saturday to sign books at the Children's Lit Festival in Warrensburg, MO on Sunday and to speak to Festival school groups Monday and Tuesday. It was my first time at the Festival, but some of the other 40+ authors have been coming every year for ten, twenty, or even thirty years! They were a very gracious and welcoming group. Naomi Williamson is the Festival's superb organizer, and she and her cast of volunteers kept everything humming along. What fun! (see photo of me with author Vivian Vande Velde)

March 19:Today I spent the day at Thomas Elementary in Gretna, NE (near Omaha). Yesterday I was at Palisades Elementary, also in Gretna. The kids at both schools were delightfully engaged and polite, as were the kids at Christ the King, a Catholic school in Omaha that I spoke at on St. Patrick's Day. Thursday night I had a lovely time yakking it up with Kim Burry (in green tee) and some of her "Walk and Whine" friends: Peg, Sandy and Becky. (I stayed with Kim for two nights.) My first night in the Omaha area I stayed with Holly Sullivan. (See photo of me with Holly's fabulous kids: Sloan, Riley, Bram, and Mena). Holly and Kim are sisters of my sister-in-law!

Tomorrow morning I am off to Charleston, SC!

No comments: