Monday, February 1, 2010

Learning New WritingTricks


I saw a review of a new book for children's writers in the latest SCBWI Bulletin and, after reading the review, knew I had to have it. I ordered it from Amazon and read it cover-to-cover. Nancy I. Sander's Yes! You Can: Learn How to Write Children's Books, Get Them Published, and Build a Successful Writing Career may even teach this old dog some new tricks. I especially liked her concept "The Triple Crown of Success" wherein she recommends spending time on three separate goals: writing to get published in low-pay, no-pay markets (especially for beginners who need to establish some writing credits), writing to earn an income, and writing for personal fulfillment. The book is a bit repetitious, but I forgave the author for that because I knew she was just trying to get her message across. She probably realized that thick-headed writers like me require a lot of repetition for anything to "stick." I'm going to experiment with some of the things she suggests and see what happens!

No comments: