Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Secret to Getting Published


When I first started to write for children (about twenty years ago, gasp!), I was sure there must be some secret to getting published. Whenever I talked to published writers I listened carefully, hoping to uncover the secret they were obviously privy to that I had yet to discover. If these other writers--these published writers--sensed the desperation and yearning behind the questions I put to them, they were gracious enough to pretend not to notice. Ultimately, I did get published, but not because of any one thing I learned from other writers. In fact, if there is any secret to getting published, I think it is this: You must want to enough.

What do I mean by enough? Enough to:
  1. learn as much about the craft of writing as you can (classes, conferences, books, blogs, etc.)
  2. learn as much about the business side of writing as you can (same resources as above)
  3. keep writing and submitting even in the face of numerous "rejection" letters

That's it. It's the only secret to getting published that I know really works.

No comments: