Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Soothing Power of Music

I can't listen to music when I write. I find it too distracting. For the same reason, I can't listen to music when I read, either. And because I do a lot of reading and writing, I sometimes go for long stretches of time without listening to music, except for snatches I hear on the radio when I'm driving around doing errands. So, it was a special pleasure last night to attend the Auburn Symphony concert at the Auburn H.S. Performing Arts Center.

If you live in the south King County area of Washington State and enjoy classical music, you'll want to check out the Auburn Symphony. This professional orchestra is composed mainly of musicians from the Pacific Northwest Ballet Orchestra. In the interest of full disclosure, I will state here that my husband is the principal trombonist for both groups. I get no kickbacks from ticket sales (and neither does my husband), so I make this recommendation only from good will.

Last night's concert included a wonderful trumpet concerto featuring Jerry Oram (principal trumpet for A. S. and the PNB Orchestra), The Comedians Suite by Kabalevsky, and Dvorak's Symphony No. 8 in G Major.

The next opportunity to hear the orchestra: December 2 - 3 for Handel's Messiah.

Hope to see you there!

No comments: