Thursday, September 17, 2009

Promoting New Books--Ideas anyone?

Okay, I admit it. Promotion is something I need to get better at. I love speaking at schools and conferences, and speaking engagements do help get the word out about new books. I sign on for a few (usually local) book store signings. On occasion I've sent copies of my new books to local reviewers. But I'm never really sure how effective these various efforts are. On the one hand, I worry that I should be doing more. On the other hand, I wonder if my time would be better spent on that next writing project instead.

Many of you are far more savvy and creative when it comes to promoting your books. What do you think are the best things you do to call attention to your newly-published books?

1 comment:

Wm Chamberlain said...

Have you considered offering a book for free on the internet? There are many authors such as Corey Doctrow doing this and it could help introduce your writing.

Another idea would be to create a podcast reading excerpts from your books, talking about the writing process, etc. I would love to be able to have my students listen to an author discuss what, how, and why they write.

Last idea would be for you to join twitter and follow teachers. I follow Neil Gaimon and enjoy reading what he is up to, but if you were more interactive with our community that could help you not only promote, but get feedback.

Wm. Chamberlain aka Mr. C
Noel Elementary School
Noel, Missouri
blog: http://mrcsclassblog.blogspot.com/