Sunday, July 5, 2009

Clearing the Clutter

After watching our next-door neighbor move this week, and talking to our exhausted son and daughter-in-law, who just moved to a new condo, my husband and I have vowed to tackle our accumulated clutter--again. Several years ago, we went through the whole house, room by room, and bagged and boxed tons of stuff that we either donated to charity or dumped. But somehow we've managed to fill up our bookshelves and closets and desk drawers once more. I was able to cull two bags of clothes from my closet and dresser two days ago, and today I began on my office closet.

It's a slow process, this decluttering, and in some ways not unlike writing a book. Both tasks can seem overwhelming unless broken into smaller tasks: a chapter or a few pages at a time translating to a closet or a bookshelf at a time. The progress is its own reward.

No comments: