Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Retail Therapy


First let me say that I am not a compulsive shopper. Far from it. In fact, most times I'd rather tackle a disagreeable task like cleaning out my file cabinet than go shopping. But for the last few days, I've been thinking I'd like a new spring rain jacket to take on my trip to Europe at the end of the month. What tipped the balance today, and sent me out the door in search of the perfect jacket, was a densely-packed email from co-writer Joan Holub, filled with suggestions/ideas for changes in the book we're currently working on. Don't get me wrong, they were excellent suggestions, but the thought of all that work ahead suddenly made me feel tired. To perk myself up, I headed for the nearest REI.

The first jackets I looked at weren't quite right. Some didn't come with a hood. Others came with a hood, but no inside pocket. A few had both a hood and an inside pocket, but I didn't like the feel of the fabric. With the help of two wonderful store assistants, however, I finally found just the jacket I wanted. It has a zip-off hood, zippered inner and outer pockets, and a soft inner lining. Plus, it's waterproof, windproof, breathable and--as an added bonus--a good color for me.

I happily made my purchase, and drove on home. Then I called Joan to thank her for her email. I'll wait until tomorrow to start on a rewrite. That way the ideas she sent can roll around in my brain for a bit. Right now our current manuscript is a lot like those first jackets I looked at. It has some of the things we want, but not all. But I'm confident that, with another draft or two, we'll have just the story we want--with all the features we'd hoped for.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Percolation: sung with verve and bass vocals. I love your confidence in the last paragraph: done deal in good time.

You must have been desperate to go shopping! But also, anything leading up to the trip heightens the ramp-up to departure, doesn't it? I'm excited for you!

Suzanne Williams said...

How well you know me, Leslie. Yes, I do have to be desperate to ever go shopping. :-)