Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day to All of Us Mothers


My daughter Emily celebrated her 23rd birthday on Thursday, only three days shy of Mother's Day this year. Somehow, that seems appropriate. After all, her birth made me a (second-time) mother.

My firstborn, my son Ward, turned 26 on April 15th--Tax Day. Somehow, that seems appropriate too, given the expense of raising children. But no matter the cost, I wouldn't for the world have missed out on the opportunity to be their mother. I'm guessing that those of you who also have children feel the same way about yours. And for those of you whose children are still young and at home I can tell you that your children will always be your children.

No matter how old they get, you will still worry about them (with or without cause), and rejoice in their happiness and their successes. Even as adults they will continue to be your favorite topic of conversation with relatives and friends--at least, I presume, until the grandchildren come along...


"Grown don't mean nothing to a mother. A child is a child. They get bigger, older, but grown? What's that suppose to mean? In my heart it don't mean a thing." ~Toni Morrison, Beloved, 1987

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Beautifully written, my dear. I can only imagine, but I have spent a lot of time doing just that. I can tell you that mothers of your caliber, yes yours, are an inspiration and provide the connective tissue for this world of beings. Happy, happy Mother's Day to one of the best, most humorous and encouraging mothers I know! Have a great day, despite the cleaning...

Ward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ward said...

Awww shucks. Love you too, Mom. Your new website looks great! Since you have a fine looking blog, a laptop, and a really professional website, I guess I can't tease you about how bad you are at technology (but I probably will anyway...)