Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Role Models


I went walking and had a cocoa at the local Starbucks with one of my best friends this afternoon. She's a woman twenty years older than me, a retired junior high librarian. We both worked for the same school district years ago. Phyllis travels constantly, sometimes by herself. We've taken one trip together to Mexico. Phyllis has been to India, Vietnam, China, all over South American and Mexico, Morocco, Egypt, Jordan, Italy, and dozens of other countries. I admire her adventurous spirit and aspire to be more like her, though I usually only manage a couple of trips a year right now.

Besides being ready to travel at the drop of a hat (or the drop of an airfare), Phyllis lives by this rule: "If someone invites you to do something fun, just say yes." Another of her rules: "If there's something fun you want to do (like going to a movie or a concert), and you can't find someone to do it with, go by yourself." I like Phyllis's rules. I try to follow them too.

Who are the role models in your life?

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I like Phyllis's rules, too!