Friday, January 23, 2009

Taking Stock, Making Changes

I think it's the combination of a new year and Obama's presidency that's inspiring me to take stock of where I am right now in my writing/speaking career and where I want to go from here. A book I read recently, The First 30 Days: Your Guide to Any Change (and loving your life more!) , talks about our "Change GPS" and how the only two questions that matter are: Where am I now? and Where do I want to go? One change I'd like to make is to do more speaking at schools and conferences. This week I spent time updating and revamping two presentations I'll be giving in Milwaukee, WI in a couple of weeks at a reading conference. I want to do my best job so that I'll get more offers to speak. I also decided that my website is sorely in need of a facelift. I've never had a professionally-designed site before, so I'm excited that Dana Arnim, who designed SCBWI-Western Washington's site, is going to do the job. Sometime this spring I'll have a brand-new site with a brand-new look that I'll proudly be able to point others to. Naturally, I'm hoping the new site will help attract more speaking offers too.

As for writing, I've got a couple of projects that will take me through at least the first half of the year. My friend Joan Holub and I are co-writing four books for a middle grade series to be called Goddess Girls. The stories will be loosely-and humorously- based on Greek mythology. Joan and I have been working on the first two books since late summer and should be able to send them to our editor at Simon & Schuster (Aladdin) within the next few weeks. The series will pub in 2010. Two more books in my Fairy Blossoms series are yet to come out, but the writing for those is finished. I'm also working on a commerical story project, thanks to a referral from Kirby Larson. And after my current projects? I'm not really sure. I've got several ideas simmering on the back burners of my mind, and a few new series proposals making the rounds of publishers.

That's enough about my projects and in-the-works-changes for now. What projects and changes are you in the midst of right now--career-wise or otherwise?

2 comments:

Kirby Larson said...

After reading all that you're doing, I had to go take a nap.

Suzanne Williams said...

Ha-ha-ha, Kirby. The post may make it sound like I'm busy, but I procrastinate as much as anyone. I often try to follow my dog's lead and ask myself WWTD? (What would Toby do?) The answer is usually "take a walk," or "lay in a sunny spot on the carpet." (I draw the line at peeing in the backyard and eating dogfood.)